Hi guys! I'm sorry it's been a while between posts but we've had one helluva month with dog and car troubles. The good news is I'm back this week to review a fantastic new book by Mollie Tunitsky (aka Fit Fab FODMAP), who has graciously allowed me to host a giveaway for my USA-based readers, so read on!
Before I forget, I will mention that Mollie and her publisher have generously decided that all pre-order profits from sales of the paperback version of this book (before October 10th, 2017) will be donated to Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund, run by the Greater Houston Community Foundation. Mollie's family lost a lot after Harvey struck Houston, so this is her beautiful way of giving back.
The Book: The Low FODMAP Diet for Beginners
Mollie's new book, 'The Low-FODMAP Diet for Beginners: A 7-Day Plan to Beat Bloat and Soothe Your Gut with Recipes for Fast IBS Relief,' is contains all the information required to help you get started on the low FODMAP diet (after a proper medical assessment and diagnosis, of course).
- It begins with a concise overview of the low FODMAP diet, including a thorough explanation of what a FODMAP actually is, who might benefit from it, and how the diet works.
- It explains why it is so important to complete the reintroduction phase to the best of your abilities. There is a section that specifically covers reintroduction in depth, so make sure you read on past the initial summary.
- The list of foods to "choose" and which to "lose" is currently up to date.
- The book even has a section on organising your pantry, meal planning, shopping, label reading and food prep.
- There is a section that allows you to track your symptoms during elimination and one that is designed specifically for reintroduction, you can either photocopy the pages, or download them from the website listed at the top to re-use it for each food you reintroduce.
- For your convenience, your seven day elimination diet is already planned out for you on page 31.
I especially appreciate the level-headed approach Mollie has to the diet, recognising that the low FODMAP diet is not about "healthy vs unhealthy" or "good foods vs bad foods." It's all about finding which specific FODMAPs don't agree with your gut while maintaining as much variety in your diet as possible.
The recipes included cover a variety of tastes and cooking styles and are clearly labelled as to which diets they suit (in addition to being FODMAP friendly). The photography is beautiful and is spread liberally throughout the book - so enjoy!
I tried out three of the recipes, all of which were straightforward and gorgeous. They also gave me lunch for the week, so cheers for that!
The berry sorbet was delicious and very easy to make, though you do need an ice cream maker. But, really, the ice cream maker does most of the work without you watching it, so you can make it while you're busy doing something else.
The stuffed capsicums (peppers) were super simple (especially if you have leftover quinoa) and are a great base for experimenting with different flavours. That's one of the things I love about this meal, you can have a solid base recipe (like this one of Mollie's) and go from there.
Smashed potatoes are a new thing for me (I'm always late to the party) but they were, again, very straightforward and very tasty. Easier than mashed potatoes, you don't even have to peel them or get them smoothly mashed. I just used the edge of a glass to lightly press down on each potato.
This giveaway* is only for readers with a postal address within the United States of America.
1. Follow both Fit Fab FODMAP and The Friendly Gourmand on:
- Facebook: Fit Fab FODMAP | The Friendly Gourmand
- Instagram: @fitfabfodmap | @thefriendlygourmand
- Websites: www.fitfabfodmap.com | www.thefriendlygourmand.com
2. Go to this post @thefriendlygourmand's Instagram account and, in the same comment, list both:
- A meal you wish you could make low FODMAP, and
- The US state in which you reside, or simply "USA" if you do not wish to disclose the state. This is purely to prevent someone who doesn't reside in the US from going into the draw.
The winner will be chosen at random on Friday October 6th 2017 and notified via Instagram direct message. Please make sure you check back on October 6th to see if you have won. GOOD LUCK!
*Neither The Friendly Gourmand or Fit Fab FODMAP are responsible for any disappointment/lack of prize/other issues arising from this giveaway. This giveaway is simply a very generous action on behalf of Fit Fab FODMAP and her publisher, please treat it as such. The winner will be chosen completely at random on Wednesday October 4th, 2017. It is the responsibility of the prize winner to respond within 48 hours, or a new winner will be selected.